Friday, September 08, 2006

Easy Biscuits


Well, this is my first attempt at baking something then presenting it. Surely it's not bad for my first attempt! I admit, I'm no whiz in the kitchen at all, but I'm hoping to show that anyone can do this! I'm very much a "pinch of this and a splash of that" kind of cook, so who knows how this is going to turn out!

I got this recipe quite a while ago off a friend and found it again (on a post-it note, of all things) when I was cleaning my room this week and getting ready to move. It really is a pathetically simple recipe, which is a good thing since all I had were the ingredients, no method! It also works well as a sweet pastry. When you use it to make biscuits it's quite a crisp, bland mix, so either sprinkling it with icing sugar or putting some jam between two biscuits and sprinkling with icing sugar, both of which I've done here, really do make it nice.

Easy Biscuits
125 g butter
115g caster sugar
60ml milk
1 1/2 cups self raising flour
1/2 cup custard powder

Cream the butter and caster sugar. While continuing to mix, add the milk, then sifted flour and custard powder. Keep mixing until all the ingredients are combined, then turn the dough out onto a piece of cling-wrap. Securely wrap the dough and refrigerate for about half an hour.


Preheat the oven to 180C. Remove the dough from the cling wrap and turn out onto a lightly floured board (or in my case, the benchtop). Roll the dough out into a thin sheet, maybe 5mm thick, but it's up to you. Cut biscuits from the dough however you wish - as you can see, I used a cookie-cutter, then took to one biscuit with a knife to make the hole in it. This was an act of desperation after I ransacked the kitchen for a small round "thingy" with which to make the hole and failed to find anything suitable. Place the biscuits on a piece of grease-proof paper on a baking tray and bake until golden brown. Alas, I didn't keep an eye on the time, but I figure it couldn't have been any more than 10 minutes, tops. When they're cooked remove them from the tray onto a wire cooling rack.

I prefer to NOT decorate them until they're ready to be presented. As I don't have a sprinkle-thingy I had to just pinch icing sugar of these to serve, so they could look better, but they still tasted the same!

I also happened along something positively DIVINE: I had a small amount of dough left over so I rolled it out pretty thin in a vaguely rectangular shape, then smeared jam in it and rolled it up. Oooohhhh... the outside went nice and crispy, and inside was this fantastic soft jammy goodness that was just... just... wow, wish I'd made more of them now!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woo hoo! Congratulations on your first foodie blog entry!! Your photo made me just want to get a cup of tea and some biccies. The tea I had. The biccies...well when I got there, the cupboard was bare :-(.

By the way, I have tagged you for a meme. Swing by my blog and have a look at the Five Things to Eat Before You Die.

Anonymous said...

Yummm! Also wow @ the photograph, it looks so professional (especially when compared with my chicken cakes photo!)

I might have to tie you to the stove at Grandchester so you can make these the day before the wedding ;) Half n half with the 'jam rollups'!

Anna said...

Thanks guys :)

And those jam roll up thingies... I was speaking to my mum, apparently I'm halfway to making something called a "Jam Roly-Poly". I have a vague memory of her making one with gooseberry jam when I was a lot younger, and it was LOVELY... so I'm going to have to figure it out.

Hey Mellie, I'm off to that All Fired Up Cafe today that you told me about - wish me luck!