Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Baking: ANZAC Biscuits



Seriously, with it being ANZAC day tomorrow, what else would I bake?!

I just wish I could remember where on earth I found this recipe: it's not the one I usually use. While my normal recipe is tried and true, when I found something different I thought "hm, I'll give that a go". And so I did. I took these bikkies in to work, and there weren't even crumbs left, so I'm guessing the crew thought they were OK!

A little history (from my trusty favourite-all-time recipe book): these little beauties apparently originated here in Oz in WW1 when eggs were in short supply (which is why there are no eggs in them, duh). They were sent to troops in food parcels. Which I guess also means they have an incredible shelf-life!!! Hehe.

ANZAC Biscuits

Mix 1 cup rolled oats, 1 cup sifted flour, 1 firmly packed cup of brown sugar and 1/2 a cup of dessicated coconut in a large bowl.
In a small saucepan, over low heat, melt 126g butter with 2 tbl golden syrup and 1 tbl of water. Stir this constantly. When the butter has melted throw in 1/2 tsp or slightly less of bi-carb soda and mix well. Pour this over the dry ingredients and mix it all around until all the mixture is moist.
The actual recipe then says to put rounded teaspoon-fulls of mix 5cm apart on a lightly greased oven tray, but I like my bikkies bigger, so used a tablespoon.
Either way, once that's done bake them in a moderately slow oven for about 20 minutes or until the bikkies feel slightly firm. Use a spatula to loosen the biscuits, being careful cos they're fragile, and leave them on the trays to cool completely.

Niiiiiiiice :-)

No comments: