Thursday, September 20, 2007

For Balance of Body....


Well folks, it's been a long time since I've felt THAT uncoordinated and unstretchy.


The last time I did a "Body Balance" class at a gym was easily seven years and several clothes sizes ago. (I should explain, for those who don't know: "Body Balance" is a mixture of yoga and relaxation exercises.)

So tonight I finally did my first class at the gym since joining. I figured after a particularly annoying day in the office I could do with a little balance and relaxation, so confirmed the class time, and obediently turned up.
And it was frustrating, in a way, knowing what my body was meant do, but finding it physically impossible to make it do it (perhaps this is something like what people feel when they reach elderly years?). But I figure anything that helps me stretch, and could help my back, is worth it.

And really, I don't think I did too badly. Definitely room for improvement, and I really do need to learn how to relax, switch the brain off.
Thankfully I wasn't the only noob: there was one other. We had a good laugh about it afterwards, with promises to see each other at next week's class too.

So here's hoping, folks, that I discover a newfound bendyness over the coming months to compliment my increasing fitness level.

3 comments:

melbourne dreaming said...

Hey! I did one of those on the weekend - for the first time also!

I enjoyed it, but I have done yoga for ages and I am much better at body balance than anything where your heartrate goes up (my aerobic fitness is dire!).

I do find that your state of mind makes a big difference - if you are calm and centred when you go in, you will find your balance easier... whereas if you are really stressed and thinking about a million things, you won't be able to stand on one leg, let alone raise your arms over your head.

It will only take a few classes and you will be much better, I promise :) !

It's all part of the plan... said...

Gosh, I remember a few years back in Sydney I went to one of those and walked out five minutes later. I was happy to stick with the spin classes =^.^=

R.

Anna said...

I've been to a couple of them now, and they're getting a fraction easier. Problem is that I'm the kind of person who has trouble maintaining balance on two feet at times, never mind about trying to stand on one and stretch my arms around.

I do sleep like the dead afterwards though, so that's a plus.