Thursday, March 05, 2009

Eating Out: Urban Deli

Shop 14/50 Lonsdale Street
Melbourne
P: 03 9662 9003

There's something about beginning your day with a superbly cooked breakfast, fabulous cup of tea, and several smiling good-looking men that really gets things off to a good start.

If there's a place right near my work that I haven't spent all that much time at, it's Urban Deli. I've been here quite a few times since the place first opened, but for some reason I've never mentioned it.

UD offers fairly standard fare for the type of place they are - a range of cooked foods and pasta, or sandwichs, wraps, rolls or salad at lunch, decent coffee, and a good breakfast menu. Fairly similar to Olivino I guess, but with a different atmosphere. Since Olivino is now off my go-to list, UD has stepped in to fill the void.

Over the past few weeks I've steadily worked my way through most of their breakfast menu, and I'm happy to report that it was consistently good. To rate just a few, the muesli is tasty, especially when served with yoghurt, or fruit salad, or both; the eggs benedict is well done; and the Urban Brekky, for $15, is damned good.

There's also a few different types of toast you can get, plus a range of breads to build a sandwich on. Their muffins are MUCHO nice. I saw some being ladled into the display case this morning fresh from their muffin pan, so I'm guessing they make 'em... but don't hold me to that. I would love to do some more research on this place for you, but frankly good-looking men, in that type of shape, tend to make me clam up a little and go all shy :-)

If you're at the Spring end of Lonsdale Street and looking for a bit, don't discount these guys.

Post-publish edit: they also don't charge extra for a cup o' tea. And I can confirm that the muffins are made fresh on the premises. Friands, danishes etc. are brought in, but they're still damn fine. (Decaf) Coffee and muffin for $5? Yes, thanks very much, I'll have that.

No comments: