Monday, August 10, 2009

Cafe Vue June Cocktails... only a little late!

430 Little Collins Street, Melbourne
P: 03 9691 3888


I am a bad, bad blogger. Yes, it's taken me THIS LONG to blog my birthday cocktails. We had those on June 19 (you can see the July offerings here).

You'll have to forgive me... I'd already had several wines by the time the cocktails started coming, and I was finishing off a fair portion of Sarah's cocktails too, so the pictures are of varying quality, and I don't remember much at all about the later offerings... but that's a combination of a bad memory as well as all the booze. If you know me on facebook you can see a few pictures of the evening. But anyway, on to the post.

June at Cafe Vue was "The world of Brandy". Mmmm, brandy.

The above pic shows "Jerusalem artichoke three ways" and presented in a little shot glass, with Vue's take on a Contessa. So very drinkable, and sweet, and I think it had lavender flavoured foam on top. I wasn't sure how I'd react to that lavender foam, but it was heavenly.


The next course was a tuna taco. This was so cute. The taco shell was like some kind of butterscotchy snap. Sorry folks, the commentary really will be quite sketchy...


With the tuna taco was served a Cobbler's Dream. Another yummy sweet concoction, although I think I'd have been happier with a half-serve of this one, it ended up being just too sweet.


Ahem. This is actually the BEST picture I have of the Mini egg and pork pie with pea floater. It was alright, but it was definitely on the lower end of the enjoyment scale for the evening.


This was served with a Hop Toad. MmmmmMMMMMMMMMMmmmm. Citrussy, and that foam on the top was luscious. I could have slathered it all over myself, but I was in public. This is something I would love to make my "usual" drink, if only I could remember how the hell they made it...


This course was an interesting one... the Whipped Brie profiteroles were fantastic, far and away my favourite food of the night (but hey, give me hot, gooey cheese and I'm happy). These were fabulous. They were teamed with a Palinka, which I believe is a type of European peach or apricot brandy... a Romanian friend with me on the night said she knew it from her country. Not sure how authentic this one was, but either way I didn't enjoy it - just too strong. A lot of people agreed, so Mike ended up having a few extra helpings!


Last dish of the night. By this time, well, I was ready to either party on hard, or curl up and snooze. The menu says this was Warm Ameedci chocolate mouse with powdered orange segments and pear carpaccio... I have NO idea if this is what we were actually served (can anyone from the night help me?!). The drink was a "Flip off the Devil". I'm sorry, I can't even remember what this was like... but I know I enjoyed it.

Oh dear, I sound like such an alco... I'm not really! If I'd written this post a day or two after the night, or even a month ago, I'd have done much better! Let that be a lesson to all - if you're gonna blog a meal, do it really bloody soon after.

The cocktail menu for this month looks good... I can feel a few more of these coming on...

1 comment:

Rosemary said...

Holy crap, I don't even remember eating that last dish. It was a good night!