Friday, September 04, 2009

Mum's Famous Chocolate Slice... but different


So, what do you do when you are going to visit friends, you want to bake some of your mum's chocolate slice to give them, but one is gluten- and dairy- (and possibly egg) intolerant? Why, you modify, of course!

I made a trial batch of this and took it into work today to foist on my colleagues. 100% of the feedback I got was positive, with one person also asking for the recipe. Ahh, the power of my mum's chocolate slice is awesome. Hehe, at school I used to trade my morning tea of chocolate slice for muesli bars and roll-ups. I know, crazy, huh? But I always had home-made stuff cos we couldn't afford the other things, so of course what did I want?

Anyway, here's the modified recipe. The original calls for wheat flour, butter, and egg in place of the modifications I made, and I had to do more than just substitute ingredients - I had to change the way it was prepared a little too. Many thanks to Cindy for her advice on egg replacement products: you gave me much more of an idea of what I would be dealing with.

Chocolate Coconut Slice

1 cup almond meal
1 tsp bicarb soda
2 tbl cocoa powder
2/3 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup dessicated coconut
125g good quality oil
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1 (heaped) tsp Orgran no-egg, mixed with 2 tbl water

Preheat the oven to 170-180C. Line a slice tin with baking paper, with paper extending up two sides.

Stir the almond meal and cocoa together, then stir in the sugar. Make a well in the centre, add the oil, vanilla, and no-egg mixture. Stir to combine. Add the coconut and stir. It should resemble cake batter. If it's too runny, add a little more almond meal.

Press the mix into the slice tin, evening it out and flattening the top. Bake 25-30 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave in the tin until completely cooled.

Top with chocolate icing (mix 1 cup icing sugar with 1 tbl cocoa, then slowly add hot water until you have the consistency you want).

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Mmmm, looks good - and I have all those ingredients in the cupboard most of the time! I'll have to try this out on my vegan friends.

Anna said...

That's one of the things I really like about this - I usually have the ingredients already so it feels like it costs nothing to make.

Without the flour/butter/egg it has a "normal" cakey-slice texture, but done this way I think it's more fudgy-chewy... but still good!